Information on starting a new unit.

Keep on top of things in the Forum with all the updates & announcements posted here!

Information on starting a new unit.

Postby Dassa Carvey » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:03 am

Please contact me for information on starting a new Unit (we identify them as units, vs chapters). I was 2nd VP of WAVES National for 2 years and am currently 1st VP.
I know ladies in the Wilminton, NC area would love to have a unit located nearby in order to share the comaraderie they had during their service years.
WAVES National has established procedures for starting a new unit and provides a "Starter Kit" with guidelines and forms. In addition, the organization is broken down into regions and there is a Regional Rep who would gladly assist.
Always Navy~
Dassa Carvey
Dassa Carvey
Founder, Tidewter Tidal WAVES
WAVES National PR Chairman 2002-2004
WAVES National Second Vice President 2004-2006
WAVES National First Vice President 2006-2008
Dassa Carvey

Re: Information on starting a new unit.

Postby LittleSister » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:10 pm

[quote="Dassa Carvey"]Please contact me for information on starting a new Unit (we identify them as units, vs chapters). I was 2nd VP of WAVES National for 2 years and am currently 1st VP.
I know ladies in the Wilminton, NC area would love to have a unit located nearby in order to share the comaraderie they had during their service years.
WAVES National has established procedures for starting a new unit and provides a "Starter Kit" with guidelines and forms. In addition, the organization is broken down into regions and there is a Regional Rep who would gladly assist.
Always Navy~
Dassa Carvey[/quote]

Hi Dassa, can you tell me if there is a unit in TN? I live just south of Knoxville in Maryville. I would really like to join a unit or start one. I belong to the Viet Nam Veterans of America Chapter 203 in Chattanooga but would love to belong to a Wave unit as well.

Thanks for any help.

Jo - LittleSister
LittleSister

Information on starting a new unit

Postby Dassa Carvey » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:22 am

Jo:

As a matter of fact, we do have a unit in TN called Chatanooga Choo Choo's! Patty Jo Parks is the Regional Rep in your area, and you can contact her at 6920 Sawtooth Dr., Ooltewah, TN 37363-6894, phone: 423-326-0839 or email pattyjoparks@yahoo.com. She is one delightful lady and I know you will like her.

I, too, am fromt he VN Era, having served 1963-1967. I was a journalist 2nd class petty officer when I was discharged in '67. I extended my tour 8 months in order have one year obligated service for a promotion to JO2. After Bootcamp at Bainbridge, I went to "A" school at Great Lakes and was part of the schools command. Upon graduation, I was given orders to NAS Pensacola, CNABATRA Staff, in PAO. I was subsequently transferred to SIO, NAS Pensacola and worked on the base paper, The GOSPORT. I met my husband there and we were married in the base chapel in 1966.

My brother lives half way between Knoxville and Nashville, TN and we will be visiting him over the Labor Day weekend. Maybe we can meet up for a bit while I am there and I can tell you more about WN. You can contact me at Dassa@ATT.Net and not post to the forum,if you'd like.

I apologize for the delay in responding, but the web master had a spam blocker on and my original message wouldn't send. Then, my DSL went down for more than a day! When it rains, it pours! Always Navy~ Dassa
Dassa Carvey
Founder, Tidewter Tidal WAVES
WAVES National PR Chairman 2002-2004
WAVES National Second Vice President 2004-2006
WAVES National First Vice President 2006-2008
Dassa Carvey

Postby gwursthorn » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:38 am

Dassa:

I just recently stumbled on WAVES National and I love it. My application is in the mail and I will be waiting expectantly for my acceptance. In the meantime I would like to see what is involved with establishing a unit in the Cleveland, OH area. I've spent most of my life carefully avoiding joining anything. Neighborhood groups, ceramic classes, clubs, bowling leagues, lottery pools, nothing. Now suddenly, I'm deeply involved in the American Legion, the Auxiliary, Forty & Eight, AMVETS, the VVA and now WAVES National. I guess it all goes back to my pride and sense of accomplishment in being a WAVE in the US Navy. I'm seeing female veterans all the time, many of them Navy, and I think Cleveland would be a good location for a unit.

Now for a little shared history. As an SN I too worked for the beloved Alva Butler on the GOSPORT in the SIO office and I loved it. Didn't even mind being the lunch hour phone relief in the Captain's office and babysitting Louie, the Captain's poodle. Then I "shipped over" on the STAR Program for orders to JO "A" school at Great Lakes, where I graduated JO3.

Navy..always

Gale Wursthorn JO2
navygj@sbcglobal.net
gwursthorn

Postby michele » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:51 pm

I am the President of Heart of America WAVES Unit #9 here in Kansas City. After a shakey start the gals finally warmed up to me! I love them all now. We are a band of Sisters with a lot of history! I recently became the Regional Representative for Region V and will be attending the National Convention next week in Norfolk, VA, with a fellow shipmate of mine from the Reserves. If any of you veterans (women of course) are in the Kansas City area and would like to attend one of our meetings, we'd love to have you. We meet in February, April, June, August, October, and December. We meet the 4th Saturday of those months except in December when we have our Christmas party. Please post a reply to my message and I can give you details on how to contact us.

Any of you gals going to the National Convention in Norfolk. Let me know. Maybe we can get together.
michele

Return to News & Announcements!