womenofthewaves.com  PROFILES




Back to PROFILES Index

Download this profile

I was born in Great Falls, Montana in 1922 and spent my growing up years living on a farm with my parents and two brothers in Fort Shaw, Montana. I attended twelve years of school in Fort Shaw and upon graduation, attended two years at Kinman Business University in Spokane, Washington, graduating with a Bachelor of Secretarial Science Degree.

After graduation, I had several secretarial jobs; working in a hardware store and held various civil service jobs until I enlisted in the Navy.

I was sworn into the WAVES on 30 September 1944 in Helena, Montana and was sent to Hunter College, New York, where I completed "boot camp." Our tour of duty was for the duration of the war and six months. We had no way of knowing how long the war was going to last.

Upon completion of boot training, I was sent to Cedar Falls, Iowa for yeoman training. Upon completion on 5 March 1945, I was given the rate of Seaman First Class (SIC).

My next assignment was to a Naval Air Station In Hutchinson, Kansas (NAS), working in the Personnel Office, Transfer Section, where I was responsible for the transfer of all seamen leaving for reassignment.

On 15 April 1945, President Franklin D. Roosevelt died and memorial services for him were held at the Naval Air Station.

During my tour of duty at NAS, I, along with other WAVES, had to stand the watch at our appointed time. The various hours were from 1800 to 2200, 2200 to 0200 and 0200 to 0600. Often times we had very little sleep.

As the war was nearing an end and peace had been declared, I was transferred to head the Discharge Section and was in charge of preparing discharge papers on the point system for all seamen assigned to NAS. This included arranging for proper transportation to their proper discharge facility.

I was discharged from Great Lakes Naval Station on 20 May 1945 as a Yeoman Second Class (Y2/c) and given an Honorable Discharge.

I went back to Great Falls, Montana and worked as a civil service employee in the Air Traffic Command Flight Services office until I was married on 12 October 1946.

My husband was in the Air Force and I followed him to his various assignments, working in various civil service jobs as they became available.

Our tours were varied, including Colorado Springs, Colorado; Quito, Ecuador, South America; Harlington Texas; Tripoli, Libya and Spokane, Washington, where we finally retired. My husband spent 24 years in the Air Force.

We adopted two children and at this time, I decided to stay home and become a homemaker.

My husband and I both agree that our time spent in the military was very special -- meeting new friends, seeing and living in different parts of the world and serving our country at the same time.

We would both do it again if we could.

Back to PROFILES Index